Timeline

HomeTimeline

 

1864

Puget Mill Company buys timberland at the future site of Kenmore

The San Francisco-based Puget Mill Company, a lumber manufacturer, purchases 108 acres of timberland at the north end of Lake Washington that would later become the city of Kenmore. Over the next six years, Puget Mill purchases more than 1,100 acres in the area for $1.25 per acre. The company proceeds to log off its tracts including old-growth trees 400-500 years old, some over eight feet in diameter and 200 feet tall. (After World War I, Puget Mill sells stump land to early Kenmore settlers for home sites.)

1871

Remington, typewriter mogul purchases property in Kenmore

Philo Remington, whose family made rifles and typewriters, purchases 198.5 acres of timberland including waterfront property at the future site of Kenmore for $248.12.

1876
Watson Squire purchases acreage in what is now central Kenmore

Watson Squire purchases acreage in what is now central Kenmore

Watson Squire, a future territorial governor and U.S. senator, purchases 198 acres sight-unseen from his father-in-law, Philo Remington, in what is now central Kenmore. Squire actively seeks to promote commerce and economic development at the north end of the lake, but his efforts are hampered by the national economic downturn of 1893-96.

1884
The first water transportation begins

The first water transportation begins

The forty-foot Squak begins service on Lake Washington and the Sammamish River, moving passengers and freight from Seattle’s Madison Park to Bothell, Woodinville, Redmond, and Issaquah.

1887

Railroad tracks completed

Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad tracks completed from Seattle to Bothell along Lake Washington; in subsequent years, the line is extended to Woodinville, Redmond, Preston, Snoqualmie, and North Bend as the railroad becomes a major regional line serving logging areas.

1889
Creator moves to becomes a pillar of Kenmore

Creator moves to becomes a pillar of Kenmore

Scotsman John McMaster moves from Kenmore, Ontario to Seattle, where he learns of a new shingle-making process at a Seattle mill.

1892

Watson C. Squire plats Northlake Terrace

1901
Shingle mill opens

Shingle mill opens

John McMaster opens a shingle mill at the north end of Lake Washington on January 1 and names the surrounding area after his hometown of Kenmore, Scotland.

1903
The first school

The first school

The Kenmore School District is established; first classes are held in a shack near the McMaster mill.

1912

The first real estate deal

Shirl Squire, son of Watson Squire, plats Northlake Terrace—likely Kenmore’s first real-estate development—encompassing much of the property in central Kenmore owned by his father on the north side of what is now Bothell Way. (Northlake Terrace remains largely undeveloped until the early 1950s.)

1913
Brick road from Lake Forest Park through Kenmore to Bothell is completed

Brick road from Lake Forest Park through Kenmore to Bothell is completed

Italian and Greek immigrants complete work on the Brick Road from Lake Forest Park to Kenmore and Bothell, following the route of a wagon road first used in the late 1880s. The Brick Road adds a hard surface and all-weather reliability to the route, bringing with it an economic boon to the area as automobiles replace horse-and-buggy travel. For the first time, Seattle families with automobiles can make a day trip to Bothell on the weekend. Cafes and roadhouses open in Kenmore. Casey Bannister becomes driver for the Bothell Auto Stage

1916

Opening of Lake Washington Ship Canal and Chittenden Locks

Lake Washington Ship Canal and Chittenden Locks open after the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers lowers the level of Lake Washington by nearly nine feet. The Sammamish River becomes a slough and effectively no longer serves as a commercial waterway. However, the lowering of the lake creates some thirty feet to the Kenmore shoreline, where businesses devoted to lakeside leisure-time activities began to appear.

1917

First bridge across the Sammamish Slough at Kenmore at 68th Avenue is built

1921
Grand Opening of Inglewood Golf and Country Club

Grand Opening of Inglewood Golf and Country Club

The Inglewood Golf Clubhouse opens next to an 18-hole golf course developed on what had been Peterson’s goat farm and logged-off forest land.

1924
Inglewood Golf and Country Club burns; rebuilt in 1925

Inglewood Golf and Country Club burns; rebuilt in 1925

After a fire destroys the original Inglewood Golf Club, a more splendid clubhouse opens and continues operating today.

1925

Kenmore Community Club is organized

Kenmore Community Club organizes to work together on needs of the community,  estimated to number about 150 people. Objectives the first year are improved fire protection,  widening of the highway, better phone service, and establishment of a polling precinct.

1928

McMaster shingle mill burns

1930

John McMaster dies at age 82.

Kenmore Community Club finishes new clubhouse

Kenmore Community Club finishes new clubhouse

Kenmore Community Club finishes its new clubhouse, financed from the sale of 150 bonds worth $10 each. Memberships cost fifty cents with dues set at twenty-five cents month.

1931
Construction of St. Edward’s Seminary begins

Construction of St. Edward’s Seminary begins

After several years of construction, the St. Edward Seminary opens to train Catholic priests. The facility was operated for 46 years until 1976.

1936
Wooden water tank holding 20,000 gallons is built on the Northlake hill

Wooden water tank holding 20,000 gallons is built on the Northlake hill

1938

Two-lane bridge crossing Sammamish River on 68th Avenue replaces 1917 wooden span

1942
Kenmore Volunteer Fire Department organized

Kenmore Volunteer Fire Department organized

As advocated by the Kenmore Community Club, the Kenmore Volunteer Fire Department is organized after voters approve creation of King County Fire Protection District 16.

1946
Bob Munro establishes Kenmore Air Harbor in a former swamp beside the lake

Bob Munro establishes Kenmore Air Harbor in a former swamp beside the lake

Soon after their return from World War II, aviation mechanics Bob Munro and Reg Collins and pilot Jack Mines establish Kenmore Air Harbor on 2.5 acres of a former swamp next to Lake Washington. Munroe builds a 36-horsepower airplane from the parts of wrecked planes and Kenmore Air is in business. Kenmore Air Harbor becomes the largest seaplane base in the United States.

1947
Water District 79 is organized

Water District 79 is organized

1953
Ralph Swanson Sr. opens Plywood Supply Company in Lake City Way

Ralph Swanson Sr. opens Plywood Supply Company in Lake City Way

Established by Ralph Swanson in Lake City with a single truck and a small shed, Plywood Supply moves three years later to Kenmore, where it operates with a fleet of trucks and six warehouses, where it becomes one of the city’s largest enterprises.

1954

Kenmore voters defeat an incorporation proposal

1958
Kenmore Library opens

Kenmore Library opens

First Kenmore Library opens with 5,600 books in its collection, housed in a remodeled barn on 73rd Avenue NE following a community fund-raising effort.

1970

A parallel bridge opens across Sammamish Slough on 68th Avenue, widening traffic to four lanes

1974

Alyeska Pipeline Service Company begins barging construction materials to Alaska by way of the Kenmore waterfront for the Trans-Alaska Pipeline

1976
The Kenmore Library moves into a 2,112-square-foot modular structure on 73rd Avenue NE.

The Kenmore Library moves into a 2,112-square-foot modular structure on 73rd Avenue NE.

1978

New park opens

Saint Edward State Park opens on 316 acres of land surrounding the St. Edward Seminary, lakeside property sold to the state by the Catholic Archdiocese.

Bike trail opens

Burke-Gilman Trail opens after Burlington Northern (a conglomerate of railroads that survived the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad) abandons its rail bed on the west side of Lake Washington.

1980
Official Kenmore community flag is unveiled

Official Kenmore community flag is unveiled

1995

Kenmore Incorporation Committee is formed

1996
Bastyr University moves

Bastyr University moves

Bastyr University moves from Seattle to the St. Thomas Seminary in Kenmore after leasing and later purchasing the 50-acre property from the Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle; within twenty years, Bastyr becomes the nation’s leading naturopathic medical school.

1997
After repeated defeats, a proposal to incorporate the City of Kenmore is approved by voters.

After repeated defeats, a proposal to incorporate the City of Kenmore is approved by voters.

Measure for Kenmore incorporation passes with a 71 percent “yes” vote

1998
The City of Kenmore is incorporated and officially becomes a city on August 31

The City of Kenmore is incorporated and officially becomes a city on August 31

Kenmore Heritage Society is established

2001

Kenmore Founders Day is observed January 10 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the naming of Kenmore by John McMaster