Skip to main content

Arrowhead Point’s first homesteader was Reuben J. Crocker in 1888. The first Arrowhead home was built by Albert G. Shears. Today, the point is fully developed with winding streets and lakefront homes.

Timber baron Marshall Blinn bought more than eight hundred acres of timberland in 1871, comprising what today is part of the Arrowhead, Inglewood, and Moorlands districts of Kenmore. A portion of his holdings, 366 acres, was purchased in 1926 by Catholic Bishop Edward O’Dea with a personal inheritance he received. Bishop O’Dea later donated the site to the Archdiocese of Seattle, leading to development of St. Edward and St. Thomas Seminaries west of Juanita Drive (later to become the sites of Saint Edward State Park and Bastyr University).

In the meantime, a man named Reuben J. Crocker homesteaded on the small triangle of level land at the foot of a steep slope that we know today as Arrowhead Point. He paid $5 for the land and received his patent, or land ownership, in 1888. He sold a portion of his land to Albert G. Shears in 1893.

No road led down to the Shears land. Sometime after 1902, Shears Landing was established just north of Arrowhead Point. When Shears wanted to go into Seattle, he put up a white flag at the landing to notify the steamboat plying the Sammamish Slough and Lake Washington to pick him up. If the weather was foggy, he beat on an old triangle or saw blade to signal the boat. A 1940 Metsker map shows Shears Road (now Arrowhead Drive NE) heading down the hill to the point.

Arrowhead Point was named for the Indian arrowheads that early residents often found as they cultivated their gardens. It was sometimes called Whiskey Point because of stories about Indians hiding whiskey there. Arrowhead Point is now largely developed, with homes lining its winding drives, short streets, and cul-de-sacs. [2003]

An Arrowhead Point Estate

One of the oldest homes on Arrowhead Point was built in 1929 when the only access to the land was by boat. The structure originally was a summer cabin. In 1941 a man named Panatoni purchased the 6.5-acre site, which included a water tank.

An orchard and truck farm were developed on the property. Panatoni’s handyman hauled rocks from nearby Arrowhead Creek and built a stone fence, bridge, and stone pillars.

Panatoni’s son Leo bought the estate from his father, who continued to live there. Leo and Evelyn Panatoni operated the York Restaurant in downtown Seattle and relied on the truck farm to help supply the restaurant. The Panatonis added a dining room and kitchen to the house in 1945.

In 1974 the estate was sold to Robert Hevly, who divided it into four waterfront lots (one of which contained the original house) and four additional lots at the rear of the property.

Bill and Ann Newman and their daughters Kathy and Brenda purchased the lot containing the original house in 1975. Bill Newman died in 1983. The house was again enlarged in 1994. Ann Newman Panush, principal of the nearby Arrowhead Elementary School, and her husband Larry later occupied the home.

Leave a Reply