Skip to main content
Business & IndustryNews & Events

CalPortland (asphalt/concrete plant)

The CalPortland asphalt/concrete plant has been a landmark on the Kenmore industrial waterfront since the early 1970's. For decades the asphalt/concrete business has supplied asphalt/concrete materials for paving and building projects throughout the north King County region. Being strategically located on the Lake Washington waterfront has allowed a relatively inexpensive…
SuzanneG
January 10, 2024
Business & Industry

Farmer’s Grocery

People moving out of the city to buy cheap land in Linwood Heights during the 1930s' Depression made Farmer's Grocery their neighborhood stop. Melba and Bob Farmer opened the small market at NE 193rd Street and 55th Avenue NE in 1935 and lived in the rear attached dwelling. Photo courtesy…
SuzanneG
March 25, 2019
Business & Industry

Watson Squire

Watson Squire is credited with purchasing land and developing the area that is central Kenmore today. Squire was the twelfth governor of Washington Territory and served ten years in the U.S. Senate. Photo courtesy of Bothell Library.
SuzanneG
February 7, 2019
Business & Industry

James G. Murphy Auction

A Kenmore business that draws national attention and customers is the James G. Murphy auction company on 68th Avenue NE. Murphy founded the business in 1970. Photo courtesy of the Murphy family.
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019
Business & IndustryHistoric Kenmore

Melvin and Mabel Arnston

Arnston Grocery Store was another market that was important to its Kenmore neighborhood. Melvin and Mabel Arnston arrived in the Moorlands Heights area in 1938 with their teenage daughters Amber and Gloria. Teaming up with Mel’s brother Magnus, they opened a tiny grocery at NE 155th Street and 81st Avenue…
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019
Business & IndustryHistoric Kenmore

Arnston-Hartlove Grocery

The Arnston-Hartlove Grocery provided food, telephone service, and camaraderie to the Moorlands neighborhood. The building on the left is the original Arnston Grocery established in 1938. A larger building was moved to the site in 1945 (right) The renamed Arnston-Hartlove Grocery operated until 1965. Photo courtesy of Amber Arnston Hartlove.
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019