Skip to main content
Business & IndustryHistoric Kenmore

First Grocery Store

The intersection of Bothell Way and 68th Avenue NE appears serene in the early 1940s with its single stoplight. The community's first grocery store, on the northwest corner of the intersection, was built by James and Sarah Mitchell in 1919. Next door, Ed and Eliza Mahler opened Kenmore's first gas…
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019
Business & IndustryHistoric Kenmore

Kenmore Drive-In Theater

The Kenmore Drive-In Theater, opened in 1953, offered nightly viewing of films, popular with young postwar families who brought their children along in cars. The Metro park-and-ride lot occupies the site today. Late 1950s photo from the Bothell Citizen.
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019
Business & Industry

Nite & Day Market

Founded in 1946, the Nite & Day Market continues serving the motoring public from its site at 6233 Bothell Way overlooking Lake Washington. Photo courtesy of Washington State Archives, Puget Sound Regional Branch.
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019
Business & Industry

Kenmore Camera

Kenmore Camera owner Jim Donovan (right) talks with Burt Knopp (center) and Dick Taylor shortly after the store opened in 1974 in a strip mall at 78th and Bothell Way.  Donovan relocated his store in 1977 to the former Kenmore fire station at 18031 67th Avenue NE after purchasing the…
SuzanneG
October 25, 2018
Business & Industry

Plywood Supply Trucks

A modern fleet of trucks and six warehouses indicate the size of Plywood Supply.  Ralph Swanson began his company with one truck and a small shed in Seattle, moving to Kenmore in 1956. Photo courtesy of Plywood Supply
SuzanneG
October 25, 2018
Business & Industry

Ralph Swanson

The entrepreneurial spirit of Ralph Swanson resulted in the formation of Plywood Supply, one of Kenmore's largest enterprises. Photo courtesy of Plywood Supply
SuzanneG
October 25, 2018
Business & Industry

Industrial Site on the Lake

Multiple use of the Lake Washington shoreline in 1948 shows the Northwest Plywood mill and its log boom located next to Kenmore Building Materials (center).  Barely visible at lower left is Kenmore Air Harbor.  The scene is bounded by Bothell Way (upper). Photo courtesy of the Menard family
SuzanneG
October 25, 2018
Business & Industry

Firlawn Sanitarium

A three-story residence on Lakewood Villa Road (later NE 175th Street) became Lakewood Villa Sanitarium in the 1930s, specializing in psychiatry.  Later renamed Firlawn, the facility offered private medical treatment and attracted author Thomas Wolfe as a patient in 1938.  Photo courtesy of Ronald Gehrke
SuzanneG
October 25, 2018