Community Life

Moorlands Community Club

Early Moorlands residents gathered at the Moorlands Community Club to discuss needed improvements as well as to socialize with each other. The 1936 clubhouse at NE 166th Street and Simonds Road became the Inglemoor Free Methodist Church in 1946. Photo courtesy of Washington State Archives, Puget Sound Regional Branch
SuzanneG
March 25, 2019
Community Life

Kids in a Cage

Stephen and Craig Divoky, sons of early Uplake residents Charles and Agnes Divoky, enjoy the nearby woods, where they've built themselves a pint-sized stockade. Photo courtesy of the Divoky family
SuzanneG
March 25, 2019
Community Life

Roger Smith

One of Kenmore's more visible citizens during a fifty-year period was Roger Smith, more familiarly called Bottles because he collected beverage containers to turn in for cash. His favorite observation post was seated on his wheelbarrow watching the passing traffic near Kenmore Pre-Mix, where he lived in a small building.…
SuzanneG
February 10, 2019
Community Life

Kenmore Art Show

Visitors view exhibits at the 2001 Kenmore Art Show, held in conjunction with the community's annual Good Ol' Days celebration. Photo courtesy of Roland Lindstrom.
SuzanneG
February 10, 2019
Community Life

1959 KenFair Days Parade

The royal float for the 1959 KenFair Days parade proceeds along NE 181st Street. Queen Nora O'Donnell sits above her court of princesses (left to right): Pam Pick, Jean Smoot, and Lynn Gorthos. A fourth princess, Barbara Heald, is hidden behind Jean Smoot. Photo courtesy of Priscilla Droge  
SuzanneG
February 10, 2019
Community Life

Annual Frontier Days

One of the fund-raising features of Kenmore's annual Frontier Days celebration was the practice of "jailing" prominent citizens and asking their friends to bail them out. Here, Gil Roundy, manager of Shoreline Savings, is looking for some friends to help during the 1983 celebration. Photo courtesy of Priscilla Droge.
SuzanneG
February 10, 2019
Community Life

Inglewood Golf and Country Club

Inglewood Golf and Country Club was chartered in 1919 and celebrated its grand opening on August 6, 1921 (pictured here). The clubhouse, built where the putting green is today, burned in the fall of 1924. A newer, more-splendid clubhouse opened in 1925 and continues operating today. Photo courtesy of Inglewood…
SuzanneG
February 10, 2019