Public Services

Kenmore Fire Department

The Kenmore Fire Department displays a variety of equipment in the late 1950s at its first station, located at 67th Avenue NE and NE 181st Street. The vehicles are (left to right) the "whoopee wagon," a 1954 Ford panel truck remodeled as an aid unit, a 1944 Mercury ladder truck,…
SuzanneG
February 7, 2019
Public Services

Volunteer Firemen Fireboat

Kenmore volunteer firemen built their own fireboat, The Volunteer, in 1966. The 33-foot craft was powered by two 290-horsepower engines and reached speeds of thirty-five miles an hour while responding to rescue needs on Lake Washington through the 1980s. Tom Torell (left) and Bob Woods are seen in this 1974…
SuzanneG
February 7, 2019
Public Services

Volunteer Firemen Truck

Kenmore volunteer firemen built this custom fire truck to use for special events. The truck frame was a Model A Ford donated by Vic Tvrdy and contained parts from 1929, 1930, and 1931 Model As. 1967 photo by Les Eaton.
SuzanneG
February 7, 2019
Public Services

King County Sheriff’s Deputies

A voluntary auxiliary of 130 Kenmore men assisted regular King County Sheriff's deputies in maintaining local law and order during the 1940s and '50s. The auxiliary members wore standard police uniforms and served four evening hours a week, using their own vehicles. Photo by Verlina Eaton Public Services.
SuzanneG
February 7, 2019
Public Services

Water District 79

Water District 79 moved into its first office, a tiny building at 18120 68th Avenue NE, in 1953. Seated on the steps is Superintendent Frank Telquist, the district's only paid employee. Standing are two of the district commissioners: Joseph Horrigan, right, and George Millman, second from left. The other two…
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019