Timber

Mill Owner John McMaster

John McMaster opened a shingle mill on the northeast shore of Lake Washington on January 1, 1901, and named the site Kenmore, reflecting the name of his previous home, Kenmore, Ontario. Photo courtesy of Bothell Library
SuzanneG
February 7, 2019
Timber

McMaster Shingle Mill Workers

Mill owner John McMaster (third from left wearing derby hat) stands with his shingle mill crew in 1909 at the Kenmore mill site. Photo courtesy of Snohomish County Museum and Historical Society Timber
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019
Timber

McMaster Shingle Mill

The McMaster Shingle Mill sprawls along the Lake Washington shoreline in 1909. The foreground buildings face a dirt road that later became Bothell Way. Just beyond are the railroad tracks and in the background is the site of the future Inglewood area. Photo courtesy of Snohomish County Museum & Historical…
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019
Timber

Huge Fir Log

Three men are dwarfed by a huge fir log destined for a nearby mill. Photo courtesy of Doris Clements  
SuzanneG
January 30, 2019
Timber

Early Logging

From 1860 to the early 1900s the lure of profits from harvesting timber brought the first non-Native settlers to what later became Kenmore. The virgin forests consisted mostly of fir, hemlock, and cedar. Early logging methods were wasteful. Only the best and most accessible trees were harvested. Loggers sawed the…
SuzanneG
January 29, 2018